Sunday, August 4, 2013

“Dedicated to MY Mother, Yet Significant for ALL Mothers”



“Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well. But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.” ~ Judges 14:3-4

When it comes to our parents, as younger people we tend to neglect their advice. Samson was someone who was called by God to do great things and I mean great. However, Samson had a little issue with dealing with girls who didn’t know the One true God, Jesus the Christ. Samson goes to his father and mother after noticing a girl of the Philistines (the enemies of God and His people) and says “this is the one pops, mama she’s just so perfect!” Samson’s eyes probably lit up in thinking “what a great choice, see I’m pretty smart for a younger guy” yet Samson was picking something that was actually sent to pick him. God anointed Samson’s mother and father to speak directly to his situation, correcting him and hoping for the best. It’s very significant that God included the word “mother” in this part; it shows the display of godly love and wise counsel coming together for a greater purpose, beyond self. God wanted the mother to receive credit for her godliness and choices. God uses mothers and He was giving honor to them through His Word. Samson however, didn’t listen and hit his head against the pavement searching for a quarter in a land of nickels and dimes.

What is a mother? Few people can define it; even mothers can’t define it because their work isn’t done. After-all that is the life of a mother, a job that never really ends. God has given everyone a mother; it was just in His plan to do it that way. I could have been born from a giraffe, but God said “Adam, be born from Brenda” and through that His purpose is being fulfilled. Growing up I was taught about Christ, but me being the arrogant kid (just like Samson) thought “pffft, what does mom know and who cares about God.” Perhaps, your child is doing the same thing, you are trying to train them and lead them to Christ, but they just aren’t hearing it. My mom was persistent and never gave up hope in me, when I gave up hope in myself. God uses mothers. God used my mother to instill values within me that have lasted my whole 25 years. God uses mothers. My mother gave me sound advice, sort of like Samson “Adam, can’t you get another girl?” The truth is, like Samson I was no angel. My Church family see’s the renewed after Gods likeness Adam, the person who wants to be like Jesus Christ, yet that wasn’t always me. I know many mothers look at their children, even those seeing and reading this and their child is in jail or has cancer or has HIV and you think “is it over for my child?” After all, they are on drugs God, can this change? YES! God is ABLE!

I am living proof of the power of a praying mother. I was supposed to be dead, obviously to me by what I have done. I should be absolutely insane, yet God used a praying mother to help me, guide me and steer me into His path and direction. God uses mothers. God doesn’t want us to give up hope on our children, at all. God can turn it around, I am proof of that. How do we treat our mothers as children? The truth of the matter is, we often neglect our parents. Jesus Christ was on a Cross, on THE Cross, suffering for us and yet He looked down and saw John standing by His mother Mary and called John to be a caregiver to Mary, the mother of Jesus. But wait, we don’t always do that as children, when we suffer sometimes the last person we go to is “Mom” but maybe mom has the answer? Samson was going to find out, “mom is anointed by God and was used by God to warn me” and obviously he learned that lesson the hard way, yet the Bible says that it was in God’s plan. You see, God saw your child on drugs before you did, God saw your wayward daughter pregnant with a drug dealers baby before you did and prayer can change all of that (for both of them). Samson’s life was already headed towards the wrong direction, but it’s very obvious through this text for the parents to be so keen and discerning as to whom Samson desired they were praying parents. God uses praying mothers. The Holy Spirit will take your child’s wrongs and right them. God the Holy Spirit will bring your child back from any sin they are in bondage to. I wasn’t always an active member of a Church, my life was spiraling downward, I was like Samson, failing to understand the value of a godly mother’s advice, yet through prayer from a godly mother God my Father , God turned it all around. Don’t give up on your child, mother. You may be neglected by a son, but think of it this way, when we are out of fellowship with God we don’t make wise choices, we end up like Samson, running after something that is blocking the will and plans of God. Don’t be too upset about your child who doesn’t call or write you, remembering that God can turn it around. I’ve made many mistakes, neglected my mother plenty of times and even now I can say “I don’t do the best for her” but through it all, God has led me to understand the value of a godly mother. And for this I say “thank You Mom, for being a godly mother, someone who instilled a foundation of Christ in me and to this day you see it paying off in your life.”

God can turn it around!

Father in Jesus Name, we come to You glorifying You because You are God and You can fix a situation. Lord, we come to You asking and begging that more mothers would take on a new title, “godly.” Lord, we come to You and ask that the character of Christ would be so evident in parent’s lives that children can’t help but adapt, even when words aren’t spoken let actions speak and develop that child’s life. Holy Spirit, I run to You in this prayer and ask You to fix broken families, marriages and bring children back who aren’t doing what they should be doing. Lord, let us not give up hope for the change, perhaps you are allowing this for some greater purpose like the life of Samson. God, You are working in this situation and Lord we acknowledge You and You promised if we do, You will direct our steps and thoughts. Lord, please give us godly wisdom to demonstrate to children and godliness deep within our hearts. I thank You in advance for the jail cell being opened and bringing out a new person, someone the parent will look at and say “who is this?” and they will inwardly know and see the power of a praying mother. Thank You Lord. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in your comments knowing people of all ages can see this blog.

"Each one of us must please his neighbor for his good, to build him up." ~ Romans 15:2 (HCSB)